Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
- 2 cups mixed dried beans
- 6 cups water (twice)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 big can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- spices to taste: wine, oregano, pepper, salt, chili powder
- 6 large tortillas
- grated cheese, for example Monterey and Colby Jack
- Parmesan cheese
1. Soak beans in water over night or bring to a boil and let sit for an hour. Discard beans that are floating, drain water. Add another 6 cups of water, bring to a boil and let the beans simmer for 2-3 hour, until the beans are soft.
2. In the meantime (or even better, the day before), prepare the tomato sauce: Saute onion and garlic in a Dutch oven or skillet, add diced tomatoes and tomato puree, brown sugar and spices. Thin to taste and let simmer for a while. Tomato sauce gets better the longer it sits.
3. Mix the cooked beans and the tomato sauce and let simmer together for a while.
4. Grate cheese. Grease a large baking dish with shortening. Preheat the oven to 350F.
5. Fill a tortillas with bean sauce mix and cheese (don't use up all the sauce !), roll up leaving the ends open, and place rolls into the baking dish. Cover with remaining sauce, then with leftover cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and the tortillas soft.