Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Obedience is saying "Yes, right away"

I have been following a discussion online the subject of which I won't disclose because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. What struck me in many, many of the posts made concerning the given topic, though, was that so many women, young and older, keep saying "I have to study this further before I act on the matter" when they find an ordinance in Scripture that sounds uncomfortable to them.

Rather than being on the safe side and obey first, and continuing the process of understanding the ordinance while you are already following, i.e. obeying it, they choose to continue in disobedience until they "understand fully"...

This is not obedience. Obedience does not require that you understand why something is commanded by Yahweh. Just like my 2-year-old: She doesn't understand that running into the street is dangerous, yet she has to obey us when we forbid her to do so. If I waited for her to understand why she shouldn't run into the street, and until then let her do as she pleased, I would end up with a dead child, no doubt. No way !

I wish I could tell all these women all this straight into the face, but I know they will just call me "unloving" and reject the advice, so I use my blog to say it, and hope that whoever is meant to read it, will read it. I guess if people are resistant to Yahweh's commands and his yoke is burdensome for them, then they aren't among those few that are chosen anyway...

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Great Post! I found your blog thru a comment you made on one of my friends blogs, and have enjoyed what I have read. I look forward to reading more.

    My Blogs:
    http://katiemarie2003.blogspot.com/
    http://those-who-wait.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Thanks for stopping by, and for the encouragement. I have been looking at your blogs, but only had time for a cursory glance so far... I will read more later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know the subject matter!!! Is it dresses, head coverings, or something else? I have enjoyed your blog.

    SaChay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SaChay,

    Well, I won't tell, as it is a touchy matter for many. Let me just say this: The biblical ordinance is pretty clear, it is an ordinance for married women in the first place, and your guesses are good.

    Thanks for commenting, and I am glad you enjoyed reading :)

    ReplyDelete